Pub. date: 2002 | Online Pub. Date: September 15, 2007 | DOI: 10.4135/9781412950664 | Print ISBN: 9780761922582 | Online ISBN: 9781412950664| Publisher:SAGE Publications, Inc.About this encyclopedia
Amy J. Benavides
A career is a chosen pursuit—a profession or occupation. It can also be described as the general course or progression of one's life, especially with respect to one's profession. So a career criminal is one who has chosen crime as a profession. There are, however, great differences between respectable and deviant careers. Deviant careers do not include upward movement along a standard pathway, and they usually don't reflect a long-term or lifelong commitment on the part of the individual. Occasionally occupational and deviant careers are combined, as in the case of people who embezzle from the company where they have been employed for many years. A great deal of crime is produced by a relatively small number of career criminals. In fact, career criminals commit more than 90 percent of violent crimes, and the remaining 10 percent are mostly committed by those with a background in crime or Violence as ...