Pub. date: 2009 | Online Pub. Date: September 17, 2009 | DOI: 10.4135/9781412971997 | Print ISBN: 9781412960199 | Online ISBN: 9781412971997| Publisher:SAGE Publications, Inc.About this handbook
Chapter 72: Community Corrections
Leanne Fiftal Alarid
Community corrections Out of the nearly 7 million people currently on correctional supervision in the United States, only 30% of them are incarcerated in jail or prison. The remaining 70% of persons who have had contact with the criminal justice system are supervised within the community (Alarid, Cromwell, & del Carmen, 2008). This entry discusses community corrections, which is defined as a court-ordered sanction in which offenders serve at least some of their sentence in the community. Three assumptions rest behind the idea of community corrections. First, most people who break the law are not dangerous or violent. The vast majority of offenders have violated a law that requires that they be held responsible through some sort of injunction or punishment, but most do not need to be locked away from the community. Keeping the offender in the community can be effective if the offender is able to maintain employment ...