Pub. date: 2008 | Online Pub. Date: April 25, 2008 | DOI: 10.4135/9781412963893 | Print ISBN: 9781412958783 | Online ISBN: 9781412963893| Publisher:SAGE Publications, Inc.About this encyclopedia
Edison Electric Institute
Andrew J. Waskey
THE EDISON ELECTRIC Institute (EEI) is an association or a trade group representative that seeks to represent people and organizations owning stock in power companies. The stock companies represented by the EEI directly represent 95 percent of the power consumers served by stock companies generating electric power in the United States, which produce about 70 percent of the total power produced in the United States. The other 30 percent is produced by member cooperatives, by the Tennessee Valley Authority, or other government-owned generating facilities, or by privately owned companies. All of the companies that are members of the EEI are American-owned. In addition, 65 international electric companies are affiliate members. The 170 industry suppliers and related organizations are associate members. The chair, president, and CEO of PNM Resources, Jeff E. Sterba, was chosen as the chairman of the EEI in June 2007. PNM is the parent company for Public Service ...